What is involved in OpenStack
Find out what the related areas are that OpenStack connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a OpenStack thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its OpenStack journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward OpenStack leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which OpenStack related domains to cover and 128 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
OpenStack, Relational database, HP Helion, Debian Sid, Openstack Appliance, IP address, Intelligent Platform Management Interface, Google App Engine, Cloud computing security, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, Microsoft Online Services, Free software, Deutsche Telekom, Kernel-based Virtual Machine, Open Telekom Cloud, Hitachi Data Systems, Engine Yard, VMware vCloud Air, Apache License, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, Preboot Execution Environment, Hardware virtualization, OpenStack, Ames Research Center, Virtual IP address, EMC Atmos, Spil Games, HP Cloud, Zoho Corporation, Infrastructure as a service, LIO Target, HP 3PAR, Data center, Memset Hosting, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre:
OpenStack Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re OpenStack management and overcome OpenStack skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your OpenStack processes?
– What are our needs in relation to OpenStack skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a OpenStack study?
Relational database Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Relational database outcomes and catalog Relational database activities.
– Can we describe the data architecture and relationship between key variables. for example, are data stored in a spreadsheet with one row for each person/entity, a relational database, or some other format?
– Does OpenStack analysis show the relationships among important OpenStack factors?
– What is the source of the strategies for OpenStack strengthening and reform?
– Think of your OpenStack project. what are the main functions?
HP Helion Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about HP Helion projects and pioneer acquisition of HP Helion systems.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether OpenStack goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Is there a OpenStack Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Why is OpenStack important for you now?
Debian Sid Critical Criteria:
Investigate Debian Sid visions and describe which business rules are needed as Debian Sid interface.
– What are the Essentials of Internal OpenStack Management?
– How do we keep improving OpenStack?
Openstack Appliance Critical Criteria:
Focus on Openstack Appliance governance and cater for concise Openstack Appliance education.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your OpenStack strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What are the Key enablers to make this OpenStack move?
IP address Critical Criteria:
Illustrate IP address decisions and clarify ways to gain access to competitive IP address services.
– Can a customer prevent us from collecting his/her personal data? For example by saying he/she does not want his/her phone number or IP address to be stored by us?
– Are a customers business phone number; business email address and business IP address also considered to be personal data?
– Are egress and ingress filters installed on all border routers to prevent impersonation with spoofed ip addresses?
– Is the firewall configured to translate (hide) internal ip addresses, using network address translation (nat)?
– In a project to restructure OpenStack outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Is collecting IP address really necessary?
Intelligent Platform Management Interface Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Intelligent Platform Management Interface adoptions and raise human resource and employment practices for Intelligent Platform Management Interface.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the OpenStack process?
– How do we measure improved OpenStack service perception, and satisfaction?
– What threat is OpenStack addressing?
Google App Engine Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Google App Engine quality and test out new things.
– Will OpenStack have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How can you negotiate OpenStack successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Is a OpenStack Team Work effort in place?
Cloud computing security Critical Criteria:
Steer Cloud computing security quality and raise human resource and employment practices for Cloud computing security.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once OpenStack is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How do we ensure that implementations of OpenStack products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed OpenStack opportunities costing us money?
– what is New About Cloud Computing Security?
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Critical Criteria:
Think about Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol outcomes and report on setting up Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol without losing ground.
– What is the total cost related to deploying OpenStack, including any consulting or professional services?
– Does OpenStack analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Microsoft Online Services Critical Criteria:
Focus on Microsoft Online Services quality and interpret which customers can’t participate in Microsoft Online Services because they lack skills.
– Is OpenStack Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What business benefits will OpenStack goals deliver if achieved?
Free software Critical Criteria:
Debate over Free software decisions and pioneer acquisition of Free software systems.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if OpenStack does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How do mission and objectives affect the OpenStack processes of our organization?
– What are all of our OpenStack domains and what do they do?
Deutsche Telekom Critical Criteria:
Analyze Deutsche Telekom results and oversee Deutsche Telekom requirements.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once OpenStack is underway?
– Who sets the OpenStack standards?
– Are there OpenStack Models?
Kernel-based Virtual Machine Critical Criteria:
Judge Kernel-based Virtual Machine decisions and correct Kernel-based Virtual Machine management by competencies.
– To what extent does management recognize OpenStack as a tool to increase the results?
– What are internal and external OpenStack relations?
Open Telekom Cloud Critical Criteria:
Confer re Open Telekom Cloud failures and interpret which customers can’t participate in Open Telekom Cloud because they lack skills.
– What are the key elements of your OpenStack performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– How can skill-level changes improve OpenStack?
– What is our OpenStack Strategy?
Hitachi Data Systems Critical Criteria:
Probe Hitachi Data Systems quality and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What are the barriers to increased OpenStack production?
Engine Yard Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Engine Yard strategies and catalog what business benefits will Engine Yard goals deliver if achieved.
– How would one define OpenStack leadership?
VMware vCloud Air Critical Criteria:
Group VMware vCloud Air risks and find out.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for OpenStack strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Who needs to know about OpenStack ?
Apache License Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Apache License governance and correct better engagement with Apache License results.
– How do we Lead with OpenStack in Mind?
Microsoft Azure Critical Criteria:
Jump start Microsoft Azure visions and research ways can we become the Microsoft Azure company that would put us out of business.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of OpenStack that make it risky?
Google Cloud Platform Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Google Cloud Platform goals and get the big picture.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to OpenStack?
Preboot Execution Environment Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Preboot Execution Environment governance and reduce Preboot Execution Environment costs.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic OpenStack objectives?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Adapt Hardware virtualization management and define what do we need to start doing with Hardware virtualization.
– How can the value of OpenStack be defined?
– Are there recognized OpenStack problems?
– Do we have past OpenStack Successes?
OpenStack Critical Criteria:
Disseminate OpenStack outcomes and correct OpenStack management by competencies.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving OpenStack forward?
Ames Research Center Critical Criteria:
Use past Ames Research Center projects and reduce Ames Research Center costs.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about OpenStack. How do we gain traction?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your OpenStack activities?
– Does our organization need more OpenStack education?
Virtual IP address Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Virtual IP address planning and create a map for yourself.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this OpenStack process?
– Does OpenStack create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
EMC Atmos Critical Criteria:
Chat re EMC Atmos risks and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new OpenStack in a volatile global economy?
– Is OpenStack Required?
Spil Games Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Spil Games decisions and stake your claim.
HP Cloud Critical Criteria:
Huddle over HP Cloud tasks and remodel and develop an effective HP Cloud strategy.
– What potential environmental factors impact the OpenStack effort?
– What vendors make products that address the OpenStack needs?
Zoho Corporation Critical Criteria:
Use past Zoho Corporation results and test out new things.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent OpenStack services/products?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the OpenStack process?
Infrastructure as a service Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Infrastructure as a service failures and check on ways to get started with Infrastructure as a service.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the OpenStack requirements in detail?
– Can we do OpenStack without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Does OpenStack appropriately measure and monitor risk?
LIO Target Critical Criteria:
Shape LIO Target tasks and look at it backwards.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our OpenStack agendas for the next 3 years?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing OpenStack? There might be some that are less obvious?
HP 3PAR Critical Criteria:
Refer to HP 3PAR issues and display thorough understanding of the HP 3PAR process.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good OpenStack project manager?
– Is maximizing OpenStack protection the same as minimizing OpenStack loss?
Data center Critical Criteria:
Dissect Data center tactics and plan concise Data center education.
– Fog Computing is internet computing where the devices responsible for the computing surround us. Instead of having a data center where all of the processing and storage occurs, fog computing would allow us to bring the devices closer to us and these devices would be responsible for their own processing and storage. So how does this concept help us deal with the problems created by the IoT, and what benefits would this provide us that upgrading the cloud infrastructure couldnt?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to OpenStack? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Determine if the data center has Service Level Agreements with the clients it serves. if so, do they measure themselves for compliance with the agreement?
– What are the specific security and integrity threats to cloud computing storage systems that do not exist in private data centers?
– Does the cloud solution offer equal or greater data security capabilities than those provided by your organizations data center?
– Which report should an administrator use to know both historic and current utilization of storage in a data center?
– Which data center management activity involves eliminating single points of failure to ensure business continuity?
– Do any countries force cloud based companies to house data within that countrys data centers?
– Should the dataset be deposited in a national, international or discipline-based data center?
– What is a benefit of automated site failover capability in a data center environment?
– Do the OpenStack decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Is stuff in the cloud on the same legal footing as stuff in your data center?
– Is the priority of system restores documented in the disaster recovery plan?
– What is the best strategy going forward for data center disaster recovery?
– How do you prepare your data center for Cloud?
– How many data center sites do you have?
Memset Hosting Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Memset Hosting risks and point out improvements in Memset Hosting.
– When a OpenStack manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Bhabha Atomic Research Centre outcomes and report on the economics of relationships managing Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and constraints.
– What are the disruptive OpenStack technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the OpenStack Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
OpenStack External links:
OpenStack Cloud Training by Rackspace
OpenStack is overkill for Docker – TechRepublic
OpenStack – Official Site
Relational database External links:
Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) – Techopedia.com
Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) – AWS
Cloud SQL – MySQL & PostgreSQL Relational Database …
HP Helion External links:
[PDF]HP Helion CloudSystem 9.0 Installation Guide
HP Helion Webinar #1 – YouTube
Debian Sid External links:
Rebellin Linux “Adrenaline” Based on Debian Sid – YouTube
VSIDO Debian SID Linux – Information Technology …
Awesome WM 3.4 on Debian Sid – YouTube
Openstack Appliance External links:
OpenStack Appliance 5 minutes to deploy on Thinkpad – …
IP address External links:
How to Find a Hostname for an IP Address | Chron.com
My IP Address Information – What Is My IP Address?
Intelligent Platform Management Interface External links:
The Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) …
Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI)
Google App Engine External links:
Developing Scalable Apps with Google App Engine | …
Google App Engine – Download
Google App Engine Documentation – Google Cloud Platform
Cloud computing security External links:
[PDF]NIST Cloud Computing Security Reference …
Cloud Computing Security – Google Cloud
New Zealand Government Cloud Computing Security …
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol External links:
DHCP Explained – Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
Overview of Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol …
Dhcploc Overview: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol …
Microsoft Online Services External links:
Microsoft Online Services
Configuring Outlook for Microsoft Online Services (MSO)
Microsoft Online Services Customer Portal
Free software External links:
FileHippo – Downloads Free Software
Top Free Software Downloads – Windows and Mac Programs
Paint.NET – Free Software for Digital Photo Editing
Deutsche Telekom External links:
Inside Deutsche Telekom’s new media model – Digiday
Deutsche Telekom AG (DTE.DE) – Yahoo Finance
Kernel-based Virtual Machine External links:
KVM – Kernel-based Virtual Machine
Kernel-Based Virtual Machine – reddit
Open Telekom Cloud External links:
Bitnami Open Telekom Cloud Launchpad
Simpleshow: Die Open Telekom Cloud einfach erklärt – …
Transforum @CeBIT: Open Telekom Cloud – YouTube
Hitachi Data Systems External links:
Bon Appétit at Hitachi Data Systems – Santa Clara, CA
Hitachi Data Systems Storage Solutions – Hitachi Storage
Forsythe Hitachi Data Systems Partnership
Engine Yard External links:
Engine Yard: Log In or Sign Up
Engine Yard, Inc. · GitHub
The Engine Yard – Belvoir Castle
VMware vCloud Air External links:
VMware vCloud Air
An Introduction to VMware vCloud Air – YouTube
VMware vCloud Air
Apache License External links:
Apache License 2.0 (Apache-2.0) Explained in Plain …
What is Apache License? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Apache License, Version 2.0
Microsoft Azure External links:
Microsoft Azure Documentation | Microsoft Docs
Microsoft Azure Essentials | Azure training – cloud services
Home – Microsoft Azure Pass
Google Cloud Platform External links:
Google Cloud Platform
Google Cloud Platform – Google Developers Console
Cloud9 for Google Cloud Platform · Cloud9
Preboot Execution Environment External links:
[PDF]Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) Specification
Preboot Execution Environment – YouTube
What is Preboot Execution Environment (PXE)? – …
Hardware virtualization External links:
How to Enable Hardware Virtualization – MEmu App Player
OpenStack External links:
OpenStack is overkill for Docker – TechRepublic
OpenStack – Official Site
OpenStack Cloud Training by Rackspace
Ames Research Center External links:
NASA Ames Research Center Aeromechanics
NASA’s Ames Research Center – YouTube
NASA Ames Research Center APG1770.1 Chapter 22
Virtual IP address External links:
How to Determine the Virtual IP Address for a Service
EMC Atmos External links:
List of EMC Atmos language specific bindings – DECN
EMC Atmos Generation 3 G3 – SSCS
Spil Games External links:
Mahjong Crimes (by SPIL GAMES) IOS Gameplay Video (HD)
Games – Spil Games
SPIL GAMES Apps on the App Store – iTunes – Apple
HP Cloud External links:
An introduction to the HP Cloud – TechRepublic
Using HP Cloud Recovery Client – YouTube
hp cloud matrix – Staples Inc.
Zoho Corporation External links:
Submit a Request – Zoho Corporation
GDPR Compliance Corporate Statement | Zoho Corporation
Infrastructure as a service External links:
What’s New in Azure Infrastructure as a Service
What is IaaS? Infrastructure as a Service | Microsoft Azure
HP 3PAR External links:
HP 3PAR | DancingDinosaur
Data center External links:
Aeronautical Data, National Flight Data Center (NFDC)
[PDF]Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) Trusted …
BOEM Data Center
Memset Hosting External links:
Memset Hosting choose Console Servers | Perle News
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre External links:
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) – Quora
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) Recruitment …