What is involved in New Product Development
Find out what the related areas are that New Product Development connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a New Product Development thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its New Product Development journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward New Product Development leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which New Product Development related domains to cover and 153 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
New Product Development, Association of International Product Marketing & Management, Best practice, Brand management, Choice modelling, Conceptual economy, Consumer good, Customer requirement, Customer value proposition, Design for assembly, Design for manufacturability, Design for six sigma, Detailed design document, Engineering design, Flexible product development, High-level design, Industrial design, Integrated Authority File, Integrated product team, Market opportunity, Market penetration, Market research, Market share, National Diet Library, Phase–gate model, Pro-innovation bias, Process management, Product Development and Management Association, Product design, Product lifecycle, Product management, Product strategy, Quality function deployment, Requirements engineering, Requirements management, Social design, Soft launch, Stevens Institute of Technology, Supply chain, User-centered design, User experience, Verification and validation, Virtual product development, Voice of the customer:
New Product Development Critical Criteria:
Check New Product Development goals and plan concise New Product Development education.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– Among the New Product Development product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing New Product Development?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can new product development be sped up?
Association of International Product Marketing & Management Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Association of International Product Marketing & Management governance and find out.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once New Product Development is underway?
– Have you identified your New Product Development key performance indicators?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Mine Best practice visions and adjust implementation of Best practice.
– Achieving service management excellence is an on-going process. Just as an organization can never have enough sales, so they can never stop paying attention to service assurance. With service management and assurance having such a critical role for CSPs, how can they both achieve optimal service assurance delivery and implement supporting processes to ensure that best practice continues to be observed?
– What are our best practices for minimizing New Product Development project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the New Product Development project lifecycle?
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– Are we proactively using the most effective means, the best practices and maximizing our opportunities?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– Who would you consider best practice in any or all of the instore sales drivers?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– Which is really software best practice, CMM or agile development?
– What are some best practices for managing business intelligence?
– What are the best practices for Risk Management in Social Media?
– What is a best practice for selecting drives for a thin pool?
– What best practices are relevant to your itsm initiative?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– What best practices are relevant to your ITSM initiative?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Probe Brand management engagements and mentor Brand management customer orientation.
– Think of your New Product Development project. what are the main functions?
– What vendors make products that address the New Product Development needs?
Choice modelling Critical Criteria:
Start Choice modelling quality and describe the risks of Choice modelling sustainability.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to New Product Development? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
Conceptual economy Critical Criteria:
Categorize Conceptual economy outcomes and separate what are the business goals Conceptual economy is aiming to achieve.
– What are the key elements of your New Product Development performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– How do we maintain New Product Developments Integrity?
– What is Effective New Product Development?
Consumer good Critical Criteria:
Discuss Consumer good results and report on developing an effective Consumer good strategy.
– Which customers cant participate in our New Product Development domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– For your New Product Development project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Is New Product Development dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Customer requirement Critical Criteria:
Examine Customer requirement quality and find the essential reading for Customer requirement researchers.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of New Product Development product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if the change request is not executed?
– Does New Product Development create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if a change request is not executed?
– Does it increase the risk that the organization cannot meet its customer requirements?
– What will drive New Product Development change?
Customer value proposition Critical Criteria:
Categorize Customer value proposition strategies and create Customer value proposition explanations for all managers.
Design for assembly Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Design for assembly outcomes and mentor Design for assembly customer orientation.
– How will you know that the New Product Development project has been successful?
– How would one define New Product Development leadership?
Design for manufacturability Critical Criteria:
Categorize Design for manufacturability management and transcribe Design for manufacturability as tomorrows backbone for success.
– How do we manage New Product Development Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What are internal and external New Product Development relations?
Design for six sigma Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Design for six sigma projects and revise understanding of Design for six sigma architectures.
– Is New Product Development Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Detailed design document Critical Criteria:
Model after Detailed design document adoptions and acquire concise Detailed design document education.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving New Product Development forward?
– Are there New Product Development Models?
Engineering design Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Engineering design tasks and summarize a clear Engineering design focus.
– what is the best design framework for New Product Development organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
Flexible product development Critical Criteria:
Analyze Flexible product development planning and get the big picture.
– Does New Product Development systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Do New Product Development rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– How will you measure your New Product Development effectiveness?
High-level design Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for High-level design tactics and pioneer acquisition of High-level design systems.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that New Product Development objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Are there recognized New Product Development problems?
– How can we improve New Product Development?
Industrial design Critical Criteria:
Nurse Industrial design leadership and define what do we need to start doing with Industrial design.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations New Product Development values?
– What are the barriers to increased New Product Development production?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Trace Integrated Authority File quality and attract Integrated Authority File skills.
– When a New Product Development manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in New Product Development?
Integrated product team Critical Criteria:
Align Integrated product team outcomes and find answers.
– Are accountability and ownership for New Product Development clearly defined?
– Are we Assessing New Product Development and Risk?
Market opportunity Critical Criteria:
Use past Market opportunity leadership and differentiate in coordinating Market opportunity.
– What are the disruptive New Product Development technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How do we know that any New Product Development analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– How do we keep improving New Product Development?
Market penetration Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Market penetration planning and define what our big hairy audacious Market penetration goal is.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your New Product Development processes?
– Will New Product Development deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Market research Critical Criteria:
Match Market research management and check on ways to get started with Market research.
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– What is the source of the strategies for New Product Development strengthening and reform?
– What about New Product Development Analysis of results?
Market share Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Market share quality and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Market share services.
– Are the calculated sales volumes realistic, taking into account the competitive position, realistic market share, importance of customer problem/pain and stage/maturity of customer needs?
– How do your measurements capture actionable New Product Development information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are the Key enablers to make this New Product Development move?
– What drives market share?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Gauge National Diet Library planning and slay a dragon.
– What are our New Product Development Processes?
– How much does New Product Development help?
Phase–gate model Critical Criteria:
Focus on Phase–gate model failures and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Phase–gate model services.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a New Product Development process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the New Product Development process available?
Pro-innovation bias Critical Criteria:
Meet over Pro-innovation bias governance and create a map for yourself.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your New Product Development project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of New Product Development moving forward?
– How to deal with New Product Development Changes?
Process management Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Process management adoptions and finalize specific methods for Process management acceptance.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Does New Product Development analysis show the relationships among important New Product Development factors?
Product Development and Management Association Critical Criteria:
Discourse Product Development and Management Association tactics and transcribe Product Development and Management Association as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of New Product Development that make it risky?
Product design Critical Criteria:
Chat re Product design outcomes and spearhead techniques for implementing Product design.
– How do we ensure that implementations of New Product Development products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– To what extent has the product architecture and overall product design been developed?
– What business benefits will New Product Development goals deliver if achieved?
– What are the usability implications of New Product Development actions?
Product lifecycle Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Product lifecycle planning and track iterative Product lifecycle results.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting New Product Development with what users do day-to-day?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the New Product Development requirements in detail?
Product management Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Product management strategies and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Product management.
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– In marketplace businesses what is the optimal relationship between product management Category Management and marketing?
– What is the optimal relationship between Product Management Category Management and Marketing?
– How do we Identify specific New Product Development investment and emerging trends?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
Product strategy Critical Criteria:
Group Product strategy decisions and cater for concise Product strategy education.
– How well does the product fit with our product strategy?
Quality function deployment Critical Criteria:
Investigate Quality function deployment leadership and find answers.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as New Product Development leaders?
– Is the scope of New Product Development defined?
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Confer re Requirements engineering results and tour deciding if Requirements engineering progress is made.
– Is there a New Product Development Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How do we go about Securing New Product Development?
Requirements management Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Requirements management tactics and improve Requirements management service perception.
– How likely is the current New Product Development plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
Social design Critical Criteria:
See the value of Social design strategies and check on ways to get started with Social design.
– In the case of a New Product Development project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a New Product Development project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any New Product Development project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a New Product Development study?
Soft launch Critical Criteria:
Drive Soft launch issues and gather Soft launch models .
– What potential environmental factors impact the New Product Development effort?
– How important is New Product Development to the user organizations mission?
Stevens Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Guide Stevens Institute of Technology projects and ask what if.
– Can we do New Product Development without complex (expensive) analysis?
Supply chain Critical Criteria:
Learn from Supply chain tactics and perfect Supply chain conflict management.
– The pharmaceutical industry is also taking advantage of digital progress. It is using IoT for supply chain security in packaging and tracking of drugs. There are new companies using computer chips in pills for tracking adherence to drug regimens and associated biometrics. Using this as an example, how will we use and protect this sensitive data?
– How is the complex digital supply chain -where multiple downstream providers provide services for each other and data residence and transmission points are increasingly obscure -being dealt with from an audit perspective?
– Now that organizations have fine-tuned human performance, supply chain, operations, processes, cycle time, and other targeted areas, how can they continue to improve performance?
– Does Supply Chain Integration Mediate the Relationships between Product/Process Strategy and Service Performance?
– How do supply chain management systems coordinate planning, production, and logistics with suppliers?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– What are the roles of suppliers and supply chain partners in CRM?
– Do any suppliers in the supply chain have a dominating position?
– Do your supply chain relationships tend to be longeror shorter-term?
– What is our current position within our supply chain?
– What is TESCM tax efficient supply chain management?
– In HW, SW & Services we source from a global supply chain?
– What does the supply chain do with product data?
User-centered design Critical Criteria:
Graph User-centered design adoptions and get out your magnifying glass.
– Think about the people you identified for your New Product Development project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
User experience Critical Criteria:
Unify User experience adoptions and oversee User experience requirements.
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What is the difference between information architecture and user experience design?
– What are the potential impacts to user experience by using a cloud-based service?
– What are the problems when integrating Agile Development and User Experience?
– Agile-User Experience Design: With or Without a Usability Expert in the Team?
– What is the difference between customer experience and user experience?
– Is there any existing New Product Development governance structure?
– What are the best-practices for creating a good User Experience?
– Why are New Product Development skills important?
– What does User Experience do?
– What is User Experience?
Verification and validation Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Verification and validation quality and look for lots of ideas.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your New Product Development strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
Virtual product development Critical Criteria:
Understand Virtual product development visions and probe Virtual product development strategic alliances.
– Think about the functions involved in your New Product Development project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good New Product Development project manager?
– How do we go about Comparing New Product Development approaches/solutions?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Voice of the customer leadership and triple focus on important concepts of Voice of the customer relationship management.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new New Product Development in a volatile global economy?
– What are our needs in relation to New Product Development skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the New Product Development Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
New Product Development External links:
Test Marketing in New Product Development
New Product Development Stages
New Product Development – Kleinn Air Horns
Association of International Product Marketing & Management External links:
AIPMM – Association Of International Product Marketing & Management · January 12 at 3:00pm · Be prepared for everything 2018 has to offer with an AIPMM membership.
Best practice External links:
ALTA – Best Practices
Best Practices — Attorneys Title I North Carolina
What is best practice? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Brand management External links:
Brand management in higher education: The University …
Choice modelling External links:
Journal of Choice Modelling – Elsevier
[PDF]Journal of Choice Modelling – Econometrics Laboratory, …
Consumer good External links:
Consumer Goods – Investopedia
Retail and Consumer Goods | UPS Solutions
Consumer good | economics | Britannica.com
Customer requirement External links:
Critical Customer Requirement (CCR) – SurveyMethods.com
Customer value proposition External links:
Customer Value Proposition (CVP) framework | ToolsHero
Gamechangers: Customer Value Proposition Explained – …
[PDF]The Customer Value Proposition
Design for assembly External links:
Design for assembly (Book, 1983) [WorldCat.org]
Design For Assembly – davidkerr.solutions
[PDF]Detailed Design For Assembly Guidelines
Design for manufacturability External links:
PCB Design For Manufacturability
Design for Manufacturability (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
PCB Design for Manufacturability | Altron
Design for six sigma External links:
[PDF]Design For Six Sigma (DFSS) – HKSQ
Design for six sigma for service (Book, 2005) [WorldCat.org]
Design for Six Sigma: A Roadmap for Product Development
Detailed design document External links:
[PDF]Your detailed design document must include the following
Detailed Design Document Format
Engineering design External links:
Home – Engineering Design Technologies
Dannenbaum – Civil Engineering Design | Texas
Flexible product development External links:
Flexible Product Development – elite-consulting.com
Industrial design External links:
Industrial Design Trends and Inspiration – leManoosh
Home | School of Industrial Design | Georgia Tech
Engineering & Industrial Design Technology | Penn College
Integrated Authority File External links:
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
Integrated authority file: IAF – Digital Collections
Integrated Authority File (GND) – Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
Integrated product team External links:
[PDF]Integrated Product Team Effectiveness in the …
Integrated product team
http://An Integrated Product Team (IPT) is a multidisciplinary group of people who are collectively responsible for delivering a defined product or process. IPTs are used in complex development programs/projects for review and decision making. The emphasis of the IPT is on involvement of all stakeholders (users, customers, management, developers, contractors) in a collaborative forum.
Integrated Product Team (IPT) – AcqNotes
Market opportunity External links:
Market Opportunity | Aprecia
What is Market Opportunity? definition and meaning
What is market opportunity analysis? | Reference.com
Market penetration External links:
Ansoff Matrix – Market Penetration Strategy
Market research External links:
The Arcview Group | Cannabis Investment & Market Research
Research Now: Online Market Research Company
[PDF]MARKET RESEARCH – www.acquisition.gov
Market share External links:
Title Market Share
Market Share Reports in Title Insurance – HDEP International
California Insurance Market Share Reports
http://www.insurance.ca.gov › … › Company and Agent/Broker Information
National Diet Library External links:
Online Gallery | National Diet Library
National Diet Library | library, Tokyo, Japan | Britannica.com
The National Diet Library, Tokyo, Japan, 1949
Pro-innovation bias External links:
Pro-Innovation Bias – Sparkonit
http://In diffusion of innovation theory, a pro-innovation bias is the belief that an innovation should be adopted by whole society without the need of its alteration. The innovation’s “champion” has such strong bias in favor of the innovation, that he/she may not see its limitations or weaknesses and continues to promote it nonetheless.
What is PRO-INNOVATION BIAS? What does PRO …
Process management External links:
Business Process Management Jobs – CareerBuilder
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM Solutions
Process Management System | InTechOpen – Open Science …
Product Development and Management Association External links:
Product Development and Management Association …
Product design External links:
Home / David Howell & Company / Product Design Museum …
Product Design and Development by PDT | PDT
Product Design and Development | Key Tech
Product lifecycle External links:
Product Lifecycle (PowerPoint) – Flevy.com
Product Lifecycle Management
What is product lifecycle ? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Product management External links:
productboard: Product management software and roadmap …
2018 Product Management Bulletins
Product Management Training Course – Product School
Product strategy External links:
(7) Product Strategy Flashcards | Quizlet
Product Strategy Definition and Examples | Aha!
Product Strategy | SBI – Sales Benchmark Index
Quality function deployment External links:
Quality Function Deployment for Competitive Advantage
http://www.isixsigma.com › … › QFD/House of Quality
Quality Function Deployment in Excel | Excel QFD Template
Requirements engineering External links:
Requirements Engineering – Springer
Requirements engineering (Book, 1996) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements Engineering (eBook, 2002) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements management External links:
iRise – Best prototyping tool + inline requirements management
List of Requirements Management Tools | The Making of …
Top 20 Requirements Management Software 2018 – Capterra
Social design External links:
DSI / Social Design
Social Design Sydney — designing for social outcomes
Soft launch External links:
Lost Longinus N.Sp | SOFT LAUNCH VS HARD LAUNCH! ベ …
Soft Launch Vs. Hard Launch | Chron.com
The PR Secrets to a Successful Soft Launch – Entrepreneur
Stevens Institute of Technology External links:
Stevens Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology – Official Site
Stevens Institute of Technology – Niche
Supply chain External links:
CaseStack Supply Chain Solutions
Supply Chain Online Request Express
Reverse Supply Chain Solutions | Liquidity Services
User experience External links:
User Experience Consulting – Blink UX – Seattle Washington
User Experience Basics | Usability.gov
Google User Experience Research
Verification and validation External links:
[PDF]Verification and Validation – University of California, Irvine
[PDF]DATA VERIFICATION AND VALIDATION
Verification and Validation
Virtual product development External links:
Caterpillar Virtual Product Development and HPC – YouTube
Voice of the customer External links:
Voice of the Customer | ASQ