What is involved in Network monitoring
Find out what the related areas are that Network monitoring connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Network monitoring thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Network monitoring journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Network monitoring leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Network monitoring related domains to cover and 114 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Network monitoring, Business service management, Check MK, Comparison of network monitoring systems, Computer and network surveillance, Computer network, Computer networks, Domain name system, End-to-end delay, File Transfer Protocol, High availability, HyperText Transfer Protocol, Internet Control Message Protocol, Internet Message Access Protocol, Intrusion detection system, Network Monitoring Interface Card, Network administrator, Network management, Network tap, Network tomography, Network traffic measurement, Post Office Protocol, Response time, Round-trip delay time, Route analytics, Secure Shell, Secure Sockets Layer, Session Initiation Protocol, Short Message Service, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, Simple Network Management Protocol, System monitor, Transmission Control Protocol, User Datagram Protocol, Viavi Solutions, Vigilo NMS, Web server, Website monitoring:
Network monitoring Critical Criteria:
Coach on Network monitoring goals and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Network monitoring is getting what it needs.
– Does our organization need more Network monitoring education?
– Which Network monitoring goals are the most important?
– What are specific Network monitoring Rules to follow?
Business service management Critical Criteria:
Adapt Business service management strategies and find the ideas you already have.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Network monitoring ?
– How important is Network monitoring to the user organizations mission?
– What vendors make products that address the Network monitoring needs?
Check MK Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Check MK goals and triple focus on important concepts of Check MK relationship management.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Network monitoring workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Network monitoring opportunities costing us money?
– Is Supporting Network monitoring documentation required?
Comparison of network monitoring systems Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Comparison of network monitoring systems quality and gather practices for scaling Comparison of network monitoring systems.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Network monitoring information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Network monitoring forward?
– Is the Network monitoring organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Computer and network surveillance Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Computer and network surveillance failures and shift your focus.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Network monitoring. How do we gain traction?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Network monitoring agendas for the next 3 years?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Grade Computer network tasks and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Computer network decisions.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Network monitoring project manager?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– Will Network monitoring deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Do we all define Network monitoring in the same way?
Computer networks Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Computer networks strategies and explore and align the progress in Computer networks.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Network monitoring process?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Network monitoring process?
Domain name system Critical Criteria:
Read up on Domain name system outcomes and create a map for yourself.
– what is the best design framework for Network monitoring organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How do we maintain Network monitorings Integrity?
End-to-end delay Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on End-to-end delay planning and track iterative End-to-end delay results.
– What are internal and external Network monitoring relations?
File Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Discuss File Transfer Protocol tasks and improve File Transfer Protocol service perception.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Network monitoring?
– Have all basic functions of Network monitoring been defined?
– Are there recognized Network monitoring problems?
High availability Critical Criteria:
Test High availability risks and forecast involvement of future High availability projects in development.
– What are some of our practices for having application consistent snapshots across multiple persistent storage systems for disaster recovery and or high availability purposes?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Network monitoring delivery for example is new software needed?
– Should the deployment occur in high availability mode or should we configure in bypass mode?
– How do we measure improved Network monitoring service perception, and satisfaction?
– How can sdn be applied in the context of disaster recovery and high availability?
– Are our applications designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– Is the application designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– How do we keep improving Network monitoring?
HyperText Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Steer HyperText Transfer Protocol adoptions and get going.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Network monitoring product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Does Network monitoring analysis show the relationships among important Network monitoring factors?
– What are our needs in relation to Network monitoring skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Internet Control Message Protocol Critical Criteria:
Analyze Internet Control Message Protocol engagements and ask questions.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Network monitoring strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Do we monitor the Network monitoring decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Network monitoring that make it risky?
Internet Message Access Protocol Critical Criteria:
Group Internet Message Access Protocol leadership and describe which business rules are needed as Internet Message Access Protocol interface.
– Is Network monitoring Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Intrusion detection system planning and get the big picture.
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– Is maximizing Network monitoring protection the same as minimizing Network monitoring loss?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
– What is the purpose of Network monitoring in relation to the mission?
– Are there Network monitoring problems defined?
Network Monitoring Interface Card Critical Criteria:
Read up on Network Monitoring Interface Card governance and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Network Monitoring Interface Card decisions.
– In the case of a Network monitoring project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Network monitoring project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Network monitoring project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Network monitoring processes?
Network administrator Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Network administrator goals and spearhead techniques for implementing Network administrator.
– You work as a network administrator for mcrobert inc. the company has a tcp/ip-based network. which of the following information should be documented to facilitate disaster recovery?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Network monitoring does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Network monitoring requirements in detail?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Adapt Network management strategies and customize techniques for implementing Network management controls.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Network monitoring into the services that we provide?
– What is our formula for success in Network monitoring ?
Network tap Critical Criteria:
Design Network tap visions and know what your objective is.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Network monitoring?
– How do we go about Securing Network monitoring?
– How to Secure Network monitoring?
Network tomography Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Network tomography strategies and maintain Network tomography for success.
– Which customers cant participate in our Network monitoring domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What are the usability implications of Network monitoring actions?
Network traffic measurement Critical Criteria:
Chat re Network traffic measurement issues and improve Network traffic measurement service perception.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Network monitoring? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Network monitoring?
– Is there any existing Network monitoring governance structure?
Post Office Protocol Critical Criteria:
Value Post Office Protocol projects and do something to it.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Network monitoring processes?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Network monitoring project?
Response time Critical Criteria:
Add value to Response time planning and innovate what needs to be done with Response time.
– Have we thought of cost, functionality,vendor support, vendor viability, quality of documentation, ease of learning, ease of use, ease of installation, response time, throughput, version?
– Does one expect an improvement in availability or response times that will result in increased user satisfaction?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Network monitoring with what users do day-to-day?
– What business benefits will Network monitoring goals deliver if achieved?
Round-trip delay time Critical Criteria:
Use past Round-trip delay time issues and customize techniques for implementing Round-trip delay time controls.
– How do we Identify specific Network monitoring investment and emerging trends?
Route analytics Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Route analytics decisions and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Route analytics information.
– Will Network monitoring have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Who sets the Network monitoring standards?
Secure Shell Critical Criteria:
Unify Secure Shell failures and find the ideas you already have.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Network monitoring processes of our organization?
Secure Sockets Layer Critical Criteria:
Face Secure Sockets Layer leadership and describe the risks of Secure Sockets Layer sustainability.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Network monitoring leader?
– Is there a Network monitoring Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Session Initiation Protocol Critical Criteria:
Nurse Session Initiation Protocol goals and spearhead techniques for implementing Session Initiation Protocol.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Network monitoring is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Network monitoring?
Short Message Service Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Short Message Service leadership and handle a jump-start course to Short Message Service.
– Do those selected for the Network monitoring team have a good general understanding of what Network monitoring is all about?
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Shape Simple Mail Transfer Protocol adoptions and point out Simple Mail Transfer Protocol tensions in leadership.
Simple Network Management Protocol Critical Criteria:
Adapt Simple Network Management Protocol issues and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Simple Network Management Protocol information.
– How can you negotiate Network monitoring successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Are we Assessing Network monitoring and Risk?
System monitor Critical Criteria:
Study System monitor management and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive System monitor decisions.
Transmission Control Protocol Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Transmission Control Protocol management and find the ideas you already have.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Network monitoring services/products?
– In a project to restructure Network monitoring outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Think of your Network monitoring project. what are the main functions?
User Datagram Protocol Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about User Datagram Protocol issues and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive User Datagram Protocol projects.
– Does the Network monitoring task fit the clients priorities?
Viavi Solutions Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Viavi Solutions failures and cater for concise Viavi Solutions education.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Network monitoring been identified and analyzed?
– What are the business goals Network monitoring is aiming to achieve?
Vigilo NMS Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Vigilo NMS visions and explore and align the progress in Vigilo NMS.
– How to deal with Network monitoring Changes?
Web server Critical Criteria:
Mine Web server projects and look in other fields.
– Are web servers located on a publicly reachable network segment separated from the internal network by a firewall (dmz)?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– How would one define Network monitoring leadership?
– Are there Network monitoring Models?
Website monitoring Critical Criteria:
Gauge Website monitoring strategies and work towards be a leading Website monitoring expert.
– How likely is the current Network monitoring plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Network monitoring Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Network monitoring External links:
APCON Intelligent Network Monitoring
Network monitoring software – PRTG | Paessler
AKIPS – Network Monitoring Software
Business service management External links:
Login – HP Business Service Management
Business Service Management (BSM)
Comparison of network monitoring systems External links:
Comparison of network monitoring systems |THWACK
Comparison of network monitoring systems | Speedy …
Computer and network surveillance External links:
Computer and network surveillance – The Art of Service
Computer and network surveillance!! – YouTube
Computer and network surveillance | The Meaning
Computer network External links:
Technical Support | Computer Repair | Computer Network
How to find my computer network name – Mil Incorporated
Computer networks External links:
Home Computer Networks | Home Automation – Home …
Domain name system External links:
[PDF]Secure Domain Name System (DNS) Deployment Guide
Domain Name System (DNS) Overview – technet.microsoft.com
Dnscmd Syntax: Domain Name System(DNS)
End-to-end delay External links:
[1703.01641] Dependable End-to-End Delay Constraints …
File Transfer Protocol External links:
DET File Transfer Protocol
What is File Transfer Protocol (FTP)? – ctdol.state.ct.us
[PDF]Air Resources Board File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
High availability External links:
High Availability Replication Software | EVault & DoubleTake
FlashGrid | Database High Availability Simplified
HyperText Transfer Protocol External links:
CiteSeerX — Hypertext Transfer Protocol — HTTP/1.1
HTTP – Hypertext Transfer Protocol Overview
[PDF]Hypertext Transfer Protocol – Washington University …
Internet Control Message Protocol External links:
Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Parameters
ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) – Tech-FAQ
How to Block Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP): …
Internet Message Access Protocol External links:
IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) – Tech-FAQ
Internet Message Access Protocol, v.4 (IMAP4)
Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) Capabilities Registry
Intrusion detection system External links:
Intrusion Detection System Design and Installation
Network Monitoring Interface Card External links:
Network Monitoring Interface Card. http:// …
Network administrator External links:
What is a Network Administrator vs. a System Administrator?
Network Administrator, IT Salary – PayScale
Become a System and Network Administrator | HVCC
Network management External links:
UNMS – Ubiquiti Network Management System
LiveNX Simplify Network Management and Performance …
Download Free Network Management & Free Network …
Network tap External links:
Network Tap & More | Dualcomm
Make a Passive Network Tap: 7 Steps – Instructables
Network Tap | eBay
Network tomography External links:
[PDF]Shifting Network Tomography Toward A Practical Goal
Patent US6839754 – Network tomography using closely …
[PDF]Statistical Science Network Tomography: Recent …
Network traffic measurement External links:
Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conference …
Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conference …
Post Office Protocol External links:
What Is Post Office Protocol? POP and POP3 Definition
POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3) – Tech-FAQ
Post Office Protocol
http://In computing, the Post Office Protocol (POP) is an application-layer Internet standard protocol used by local e-mail clients to retrieve e-mail from a remote server over a TCP/IP connection. POP has been developed through several versions, with version 3 (POP3) being the current standard.
Response time External links:
EMS Response Time | fems
Average Wedding RSVP response time: The data is in
Round-trip delay time External links:
RTD | Round-Trip Delay Time | Glossary
Round-trip delay time – YouTube
Secure Shell External links:
[PPT]Secure Shell – SSH
What is Secure Shell (SSH)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Secure Sockets Layer External links:
Secure Sockets Layer – InspIRCd
What Is SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)? | DigiCert.com
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) – HE FAQ
Session Initiation Protocol External links:
SIP Trunking | Session Initiation Protocol | ShoreTel
Session Initiation Protocol | Android Developers
Short Message Service External links:
What is SMSC – Short Message Service Center? Webopedia
Short Message Service – …
What is SMS – Short Message Service? Webopedia …
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol External links:
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) Relay – CDT Services
The Remote Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Service …
Some Facts About SMTP – Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
Simple Network Management Protocol External links:
What Is SNMP?: Simple Network Management Protocol …
System monitor External links:
The Best System Monitor for Windows – Lifehacker
Free 2-day shipping on qualified orders over $35. Buy Equus Innova 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor at Walmart.com
How to create a log using System Monitor in Windows
Transmission Control Protocol External links:
TCP/IP Transport Layer, Transmission Control Protocol…
User Datagram Protocol External links:
Wireshark · Display Filter Reference: User Datagram Protocol
Transport Layer: User Datagram Protocol (UDP) – YouTube
User Datagram Protocol (UDP) – Techopedia.com
Viavi Solutions External links:
Viavi Solutions Inc. – VIAV – Stock Price Today – Zacks
VIAVI Solutions – Home | Facebook
Viavi Solutions Inc. (VIAV) Pre-Market Trading – NASDAQ.com
Vigilo NMS External links:
VIGILO NMS | Performance Monitoring
Web server External links:
What is Web server? – Definition from WhatIs.com
ProjectWise Web Server
Cesanta | Embedded web server
Website monitoring External links:
Site24x7 – Website Monitoring, Website Monitoring …
Uptrends – Website Monitoring and Web Performance …