What is involved in Governance
Find out what the related areas are that Governance connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Governance thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Project Governance journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Project Governance leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Governance related domains to cover and 158 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Governance, Environmental governance, Security sector governance and reform, World Governance Index, Open Government Partnership, Governance, risk management, and compliance, Political party governance, Public choice theory, Formal organization, World Bank, Worldwide Governance Indicators, Dispute resolution organizations, Earth system governance, Committee on World Food Security, Transaction cost, Public-private partnership, Social network, SOA governance, Private sector, Technology governance, Public administration, African Peer Review Mechanism, Hernando de Soto Polar, Public policy, Governance in higher education, Governance, Rule of law, Participatory democracy, Rule According to Higher Law, Relational contract, International Monetary Fund, Social innovation, Sovereign state, Soil governance, United Nations Development Programme, Policy Governance, Governance Frameworks, Simulation Governance, Local governance, Ocean governance, Cultural governance, Ecclesiastical polity, Informal organization, organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, Public sector, Think tanks, Political parties, Clinical governance, Land grabbing, Agency cost, Market governance mechanism, Seat of local government, Non-government organizations, Internet governance, Climate governance, Government Performance and Results Act, Private governance, World Bank Institute:
Governance Critical Criteria:
Recall Governance leadership and get answers.
– Data Considerations. Data governance, confidentiality, integrity and quality need to be preserved by the migration. Is the data bound by statutory compliance?
– How do you know that individuals carrying out work on behalf of your organization comply with your organizations information/data governance standards?
– Can data in your non-production environments be protected, yet still be usable for training, application development and testing?
– Kpi key performance indicators opportunities. are there opportunities to use the field/table to measure performance?
– Are there hiring and training practices especially for metadata and taxonomy positions?
– What is your data governance organization s approach to consistent communication?
– Are there established qualitative and quantitative measures of metaData Quality?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– Standards evaluation -are there standards to be adhered to or created?
– How does big data impact Data Quality and governance best practices?
– Does a User interface survey show which search ui is better ?
– Are multiple sections responsible for the requested data?
– When is the best time to discover data opportunities?
– Is data subject to legislative oversight or mandates?
– Can the data element be clearly and commonly defined?
– How many years can bad data design affect a system?
– What can happen without data governance?
– What is hierarchical master data?
– What is it security governance?
– What do we mean by Governance?
Environmental governance Critical Criteria:
Match Environmental governance outcomes and finalize specific methods for Environmental governance acceptance.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Governance in a volatile global economy?
– How can skill-level changes improve Governance?
Security sector governance and reform Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Security sector governance and reform strategies and assess what counts with Security sector governance and reform that we are not counting.
– Are assumptions made in Governance stated explicitly?
– How will you measure your Governance effectiveness?
– How do we keep improving Governance?
World Governance Index Critical Criteria:
Contribute to World Governance Index adoptions and frame using storytelling to create more compelling World Governance Index projects.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Governance been identified and analyzed?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Governance?
– Are we Assessing Governance and Risk?
Open Government Partnership Critical Criteria:
Derive from Open Government Partnership outcomes and adjust implementation of Open Government Partnership.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Governance information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Do we monitor the Governance decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What are the usability implications of Governance actions?
Governance, risk management, and compliance Critical Criteria:
See the value of Governance, risk management, and compliance engagements and gather practices for scaling Governance, risk management, and compliance.
– What vendors make products that address the Governance needs?
– How can the value of Governance be defined?
Political party governance Critical Criteria:
Read up on Political party governance governance and correct Political party governance management by competencies.
– Do those selected for the Governance team have a good general understanding of what Governance is all about?
– Why is Governance important for you now?
– What are our Governance Processes?
Public choice theory Critical Criteria:
See the value of Public choice theory governance and question.
– Think of your Governance project. what are the main functions?
– How much does Governance help?
Formal organization Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Formal organization leadership and spearhead techniques for implementing Formal organization.
– What is the purpose of Governance in relation to the mission?
– Have all basic functions of Governance been defined?
World Bank Critical Criteria:
Trace World Bank adoptions and handle a jump-start course to World Bank.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Governance models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Governance strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Governance leader?
Worldwide Governance Indicators Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Worldwide Governance Indicators adoptions and report on setting up Worldwide Governance Indicators without losing ground.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Governance values?
Dispute resolution organizations Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Dispute resolution organizations projects and differentiate in coordinating Dispute resolution organizations.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Governance does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Does Governance systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Earth system governance Critical Criteria:
Systematize Earth system governance goals and drive action.
– How can you negotiate Governance successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Governance agendas for the next 3 years?
Committee on World Food Security Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Committee on World Food Security strategies and look for lots of ideas.
– Which customers cant participate in our Governance domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Governance leaders?
– Does Governance appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Transaction cost Critical Criteria:
Adapt Transaction cost tactics and ask what if.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Governance services/products?
– What is the source of the strategies for Governance strengthening and reform?
– Is the scope of Governance defined?
Public-private partnership Critical Criteria:
Match Public-private partnership governance and customize techniques for implementing Public-private partnership controls.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Governance project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Governance project lifecycle?
– How do we Improve Governance service perception, and satisfaction?
– Who needs to know about Governance ?
Social network Critical Criteria:
Start Social network outcomes and attract Social network skills.
– Which social networking or e learning service allows the possibility of creating multiple virtual classrooms?
– How might a persons various social network profiles be useful for learning education and or training?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Governance project manager?
– Can specialized social networks replace learning management systems?
SOA governance Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on SOA governance visions and devote time assessing SOA governance and its risk.
– How do we manage Governance Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What about Governance Analysis of results?
– What is Effective Governance?
Private sector Critical Criteria:
Rank Private sector planning and probe Private sector strategic alliances.
– How is the value delivered by Governance being measured?
Technology governance Critical Criteria:
Debate over Technology governance management and transcribe Technology governance as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Think about the functions involved in your Governance project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Governance delivery for example is new software needed?
Public administration Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Public administration adoptions and overcome Public administration skills and management ineffectiveness.
– How do we go about Securing Governance?
African Peer Review Mechanism Critical Criteria:
Guide African Peer Review Mechanism governance and attract African Peer Review Mechanism skills.
– What are our needs in relation to Governance skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Hernando de Soto Polar Critical Criteria:
Administer Hernando de Soto Polar issues and remodel and develop an effective Hernando de Soto Polar strategy.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Governance?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Governance processes of our organization?
– What will drive Governance change?
Public policy Critical Criteria:
Frame Public policy issues and get out your magnifying glass.
– In the case of a Governance project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Governance project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Governance project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Why should we adopt a Governance framework?
Governance in higher education Critical Criteria:
Talk about Governance in higher education tactics and cater for concise Governance in higher education education.
– What are the key elements of your Governance performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Are accountability and ownership for Governance clearly defined?
Governance Critical Criteria:
Audit Governance outcomes and transcribe Governance as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Do the key principles and processes support an it security governance framework including the involvement of key stakeholders in decision-making?
– How is the chief executive or equivalent management board consulted and/or informed of information governance issues?
– In relation to information governance, what are the key challenges or changes facing your organization?
– Does the customer have governance and compliance processes in place for the use of cloud services?
– Timeliness. is there value to the organization if the data is refreshed sooner or by other ways?
– Does the expected return on investment (roi) of this new collection justify putting it in place?
– Do our cloud providers implement governance risk management and compliance GRC well?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– What could your organization look like with a mature data governance program?
– Do governance and risk management processes address Cybersecurity risks?
– How do most enterprises manage hierarchical master data today?
– How standardized are Data Quality and governance practices?
– Who knows the nitty-gritty details about your systems?
– Which data is sensitive, and which can be shared?
– What are the governance requirements for ACOs?
– Who are the users & what are they looking for?
– Why use the dgi data governance framework?
– Were not doing what?
Rule of law Critical Criteria:
Analyze Rule of law risks and forecast involvement of future Rule of law projects in development.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Governance product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
Participatory democracy Critical Criteria:
Nurse Participatory democracy failures and catalog what business benefits will Participatory democracy goals deliver if achieved.
– Does Governance include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What are the long-term Governance goals?
Rule According to Higher Law Critical Criteria:
Investigate Rule According to Higher Law management and maintain Rule According to Higher Law for success.
– How likely is the current Governance plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Which Governance goals are the most important?
Relational contract Critical Criteria:
Match Relational contract adoptions and gather Relational contract models .
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Governance forward?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Governance processes?
– What is our Governance Strategy?
International Monetary Fund Critical Criteria:
Consult on International Monetary Fund governance and achieve a single International Monetary Fund view and bringing data together.
– Is Governance Required?
Social innovation Critical Criteria:
Study Social innovation tasks and gather practices for scaling Social innovation.
Sovereign state Critical Criteria:
Learn from Sovereign state strategies and point out improvements in Sovereign state.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Governance project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Governance processes?
Soil governance Critical Criteria:
Frame Soil governance visions and forecast involvement of future Soil governance projects in development.
– What are the short and long-term Governance goals?
– How can we improve Governance?
United Nations Development Programme Critical Criteria:
Unify United Nations Development Programme tactics and attract United Nations Development Programme skills.
– Is there a Governance Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– In a project to restructure Governance outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Policy Governance Critical Criteria:
Study Policy Governance engagements and overcome Policy Governance skills and management ineffectiveness.
– How do we know that any Governance analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Governance Frameworks Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Governance Frameworks risks and finalize the present value of growth of Governance Frameworks.
Simulation Governance Critical Criteria:
X-ray Simulation Governance goals and document what potential Simulation Governance megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Governance processes?
Local governance Critical Criteria:
Define Local governance projects and arbitrate Local governance techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
Ocean governance Critical Criteria:
Refer to Ocean governance quality and gather practices for scaling Ocean governance.
– How do we go about Comparing Governance approaches/solutions?
Cultural governance Critical Criteria:
Match Cultural governance adoptions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Cultural governance.
– Who will provide the final approval of Governance deliverables?
Ecclesiastical polity Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Ecclesiastical polity leadership and document what potential Ecclesiastical polity megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Governance process?
Informal organization Critical Criteria:
Unify Informal organization strategies and explore and align the progress in Informal organization.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Governance strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– what is the best design framework for Governance organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
organization for Economic Co-operation and Development Critical Criteria:
Merge organization for Economic Co-operation and Development tactics and point out organization for Economic Co-operation and Development tensions in leadership.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Governance move?
Public sector Critical Criteria:
Adapt Public sector results and drive action.
– What threat is Governance addressing?
Think tanks Critical Criteria:
Review Think tanks engagements and devise Think tanks key steps.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Governance opportunities costing us money?
Political parties Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Political parties engagements and get out your magnifying glass.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Governance into the services that we provide?
– Does Governance create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Clinical governance Critical Criteria:
Recall Clinical governance goals and display thorough understanding of the Clinical governance process.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Governance is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Is the Governance organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– What are the barriers to increased Governance production?
Land grabbing Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Land grabbing goals and improve Land grabbing service perception.
Agency cost Critical Criteria:
Investigate Agency cost governance and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Agency cost services.
– For your Governance project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Governance project?
Market governance mechanism Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Market governance mechanism risks and mentor Market governance mechanism customer orientation.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Governance moving forward?
– Are there recognized Governance problems?
Seat of local government Critical Criteria:
Drive Seat of local government issues and look in other fields.
– Will Governance have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
Non-government organizations Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Non-government organizations failures and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Non-government organizations results.
Internet governance Critical Criteria:
Study Internet governance strategies and adjust implementation of Internet governance.
– How to Secure Governance?
Climate governance Critical Criteria:
Investigate Climate governance management and revise understanding of Climate governance architectures.
– What are the disruptive Governance technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Government Performance and Results Act Critical Criteria:
Investigate Government Performance and Results Act goals and report on the economics of relationships managing Government Performance and Results Act and constraints.
– How do we measure improved Governance service perception, and satisfaction?
Private governance Critical Criteria:
Mix Private governance visions and cater for concise Private governance education.
– Does Governance analysis show the relationships among important Governance factors?
– To what extent does management recognize Governance as a tool to increase the results?
– How important is Governance to the user organizations mission?
World Bank Institute Critical Criteria:
Generalize World Bank Institute failures and visualize why should people listen to you regarding World Bank Institute.
– Is there any existing Governance governance structure?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Project Governance Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Governance External links:
BoardOnTrack – Pioneering Data-Driven Governance
SmartCash.cc | A Privacy & Governance focused …
DMS | Governance | Risk | Compliance
Environmental governance External links:
Environmental Governance | A research collaboration …
Freiburg Forum on Environmental Governance 2014 – …
Environmental governance | UN Environment
Security sector governance and reform External links:
Security Sector Governance and Reform: Guidelines for …
[PDF]Security Sector Governance and Reform – OSCE
[PDF]Security Sector Governance and Reform – ETH Z
World Governance Index External links:
World Governance Index and Pakistan’s Trade Deficit – …
WGI abbreviation stands for World Governance Index
Open Government Partnership External links:
Participants | Open Government Partnership
Open Government Partnership – Official Site
Open Government Partnership/Armenia, …
Governance, risk management, and compliance External links:
Career Path – Governance, Risk Management, and Compliance …
Political party governance External links:
On Malawi political party governance | Malawi Nyasa …
Public choice theory External links:
Public Choice Theory: Why Government Often Fails – …
Public Choice Theory Flashcards | Quizlet
Formal organization External links:
Formal Organization | Kappa Kappa Kappa, Inc.
Formal organization | Britannica.com
World Bank External links:
About the World Bank
WBG Open Finances | World Bank Group Finances
One World Bank – Home
Worldwide Governance Indicators External links:
The Worldwide Governance Indicators (WGI) project – 2010
Earth system governance External links:
Earth System Governance Project – Home | Facebook
Earth System Governance | The MIT Press
Committee on World Food Security External links:
CFS Homepage | Committee on World Food Security
Committee on World Food Security – CFS – Home | Facebook
Transaction cost External links:
Transaction cost economics – IS Theory – Theorize it
Transaction costs financial definition of transaction costs
Transaction Costs – Sharper Insight. Smarter Investing.
Public-private partnership External links:
BGCA – Military Public-Private Partnership
Public-Private Partnerships – Investopedia
Social network External links:
Hi5 – The social network for meeting new people 🙂
SOA governance External links:
SOA governance technologies – Gartner IT Glossary
SOA What? Why You Need an SOA Governance Framework | CIO
SOA Governance Standards | OCIO
Private sector External links:
What is private sector? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Federal Agency (Non-Private Sector Employers) …
Private Sector | FEMA.gov
Technology governance External links:
[PDF]SP14-04 Technology Governance, Strategy, and …
[PDF]Information Technology Governance
Information Technology Governance Committee – Just …
Public administration External links:
Center for Public Administration and Policy
School of Business & Public Administration
Master of Public Administration | Kent State University
African Peer Review Mechanism External links:
African Peer Review Mechanism – Home | Facebook
[PDF]The African Peer Review Mechanism and Human …
[PDF]The African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM): An …
Hernando de Soto Polar External links:
Hernando de Soto Polar – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Hernando de Soto Polar
Conferencia del Economista Hernando de Soto Polar – YouTube
[PDF]January 15, 1991 Mr. Hernando de Soto Polar
Public policy External links:
DSU College of Education, Health & Public Policy
Evans School of Public Policy and Governance – Official Site
Morrison Institute for Public Policy – Official Site
Governance in higher education External links:
Organization and Governance in Higher Education (6th Edition) (ASHE Reader) [M. Christopher Brown II Edited by, Jason E. Lane, Eboni …
[PDF]Shared Governance in Higher Education
Governance External links:
SmartCash.cc | A Privacy & Governance focused …
Exiger | Governance, Risk, Compliance
BoardOnTrack – Pioneering Data-Driven Governance
Rule of law External links:
The rule of law (Book, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
The Rule of Law – The Orwell Prize
What is the Rule of Law? | World Justice Project
Participatory democracy External links:
The Moment for Participatory Democracy | Stanford …
Rule According to Higher Law External links:
Rule according to higher law – SASM Glossary
Relational contract External links:
[PDF]RELATIONAL CONTRACT THEORY AND TREATY …
Relational Contract Theory and Management Contracts…
International Monetary Fund External links:
International Monetary Fund | HuffPost
International Monetary Fund – The New York Times
International Monetary Fund – Washington, DC
Social innovation External links:
ASME ISHOW – Hardware Led Social Innovation
Social Innovation Northern Ireland
All Issues | Stanford Social Innovation Review
Sovereign state External links:
sovereign state Flashcards | Quizlet
Which statement about a sovereign state is true – …
Sovereign state legal definition of sovereign state
United Nations Development Programme External links:
UNDP – United Nations Development Programme
United Nations Development Programme – UNDP – Home …
United Nations Development Programme – Evaluation
Policy Governance External links:
Policy governance manual – Meta
Policies and Procedures / Policy Governance
Governance Frameworks External links:
In addition, governance frameworks define, guide, and provide for enforcement of these processes. These frameworks are shaped by the goals, strategic mandates, financial incentives, and established power structures and processes of the organization.
Simulation Governance External links:
Simulation Governance | Industries | UL
[PDF]Simulation governance: New technical …
Simulation Governance Althea de Souza – ESRD
Local governance External links:
[PDF]LOCAL GOVERNANCE ACT – navajochapters.org
[PDF]Community Reinvestment Act and Local Governance …
DeLoG – Decentralisation & Local Governance
Ocean governance External links:
Ocean Governance | U.S. Department of the Interior
Ocean Governance for Sustainability – Challenges, …
Cultural governance External links:
Tools. Cultural Governance. BioC strengthens Indigenous and non-Indigenous capacity, simultaneously, to gain short, medium and long-term agreed outcomes in terms of the governance issues confronting many Indigenous groups, communities and organisations.
[PDF]Cultural Governance and Development in Vietnam
Cultural Governance in Contemporary China: “Re …
Ecclesiastical polity External links:
Ecclesiastical polity – YouTube
Ecclesiastical Polity Archives – The Calvinist International
Of the laws of ecclesiastical polity – Internet Archive
Informal organization External links:
Informal organization | Britannica.com
Public sector External links:
NEOGOV HRMS | HR Software for Government & Public Sector
SunGard Public Sector NaviLine®
Think tanks External links:
On Think Tanks | Winterschool for thinktankers 2018 – …
How to fund think tanks flexibly even when you can’t
Political parties External links:
Political Parties « INEC Nigeria
Political Parties [ushistory.org]
Political parties and interest groups – LA Times
Clinical governance External links:
[PPT]Clinical Governance – University of Pittsburgh
Clinical Governance Essays – ManyEssays.com
Clinical governance (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
Agency cost External links:
Agency Costs Definition | Investopedia
7-3 Federal Agency Cost Code – USPS
How Much Does a Content Marketing Consultant or Agency Cost?
Seat of local government External links:
Lyrics containing the term: seat of local government
https://www.lyrics.com/lyrics/seat of local government
Non-government organizations External links:
Non-Government Organizations – Home | Facebook
Internet governance External links:
Internet Governance & ARIN’s Role
IGF 2017 Geneva, 18-21 December | Internet Governance …
Climate governance External links:
Climate Governance Initiative – 4 Photos – Organization
Government Performance and Results Act External links:
The Fed – Government Performance and Results Act …
Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA) …
Government Performance and Results Act Goals
Private governance External links:
Public & Private Governance Flashcards | Quizlet
Ed Stringham: Private Governance | Mises Institute
World Bank Institute External links:
World Bank Institute Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com