What is involved in IT Infrastructure
Find out what the related areas are that IT Infrastructure connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IT Infrastructure thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IT Infrastructure Utility IU journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IT Infrastructure Utility IU leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IT Infrastructure related domains to cover and 135 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IT Infrastructure, Cloud computing, Computer hardware, Computer network, Converged infrastructure, Dynamic infrastructure, Hyper-converged infrastructure, IT management, IT service, IT service management, Information infrastructure, Infrastructure, Infrastructure as Code, Infrastructure as a service, McGraw-Hill, Networking hardware, Software, Software-defined infrastructure:
IT Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Systematize IT Infrastructure management and be persistent.
– Can we achieve even more efficient utilization of software and hardware within mission systems and IT infrastructure investments?
– What IT infrastructure do we have and what do we need to support the future organization needs?
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– What are the business goals IT Infrastructure is aiming to achieve?
– How do we keep improving IT Infrastructure?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Systematize Cloud computing goals and don’t overlook the obvious.
– How will you exercise control over the data within the cloud to ensure that the data are available and that confidentiality and integrity of the data remain protected?
– Does the cloud solution offer equal or greater data security capabilities than those provided by your organizations data center?
– For a customer-facing application, is the move to cloud computing expected to increase the number of customers accessing it?
– Which cloud computing characteristic enables consumers to get computing resources without any human intervention?
– What are the existing or planned mechanisms to assess the interoperability of different vendor implementations?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further and enable saas adoption?
– How do you prove data provenance in a cloud computing scenario when you are using shared resources?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT service management ?
– What is the future scope for combination of Business Intelligence and Cloud Computing?
– Have you taken into account the vulnerabilities of the cloud solution?
– What are the challenges related to cloud computing data security?
– When is utility computing preferable to running a private cloud?
– How will cloud computing affect traditional recovery services?
– How can we best leverage cloud computing and obtain security?
– What is the importance of standards-based cloud computing?
– Resource provisioning algos in cloud computing?
– Is there a market for developing niche clouds?
– Should we evaluate a hybrid cloud strategy?
– How energy efficient is cloud computing?
– what is the future of private cloud?
Computer hardware Critical Criteria:
Explore Computer hardware adoptions and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Computer hardware.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your IT Infrastructure project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Have you identified your IT Infrastructure key performance indicators?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Trace Computer network tactics and grade techniques for implementing Computer network controls.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a IT Infrastructure project?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– What is the purpose of IT Infrastructure in relation to the mission?
– How do we Lead with IT Infrastructure in Mind?
Converged infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Discourse Converged infrastructure adoptions and drive action.
– Does IT Infrastructure create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What are current IT Infrastructure Paradigms?
– Are there IT Infrastructure problems defined?
Dynamic infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Talk about Dynamic infrastructure results and spearhead techniques for implementing Dynamic infrastructure.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of IT Infrastructure product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your IT Infrastructure strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your IT Infrastructure processes?
Hyper-converged infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Sort Hyper-converged infrastructure governance and summarize a clear Hyper-converged infrastructure focus.
– Think about the people you identified for your IT Infrastructure project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Do those selected for the IT Infrastructure team have a good general understanding of what IT Infrastructure is all about?
– How can you negotiate IT Infrastructure successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
IT management Critical Criteria:
Value IT management issues and devise IT management key steps.
– Have we adopted and promoted the companys culture of integrity management, including ethics, business practices and Human Resources evaluations?
– What are the disruptive IT Infrastructure technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– What information does Configuration Management provide to the it management of an organization?
– In a project to restructure IT Infrastructure outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What are the Key enablers to make this IT Infrastructure move?
– Are there On-premise it management tools?
IT service Critical Criteria:
Boost IT service planning and oversee implementation of IT service.
– How quickly can a cloud service provider scale services and capability and is this quick enough for the requirements of the customer/consumer?
– Have you deployed, or are you looking to deploy, any application discovery and dependency mapping (ADDM) solutions?
– Are we getting a handle on project initiation-related risks which is all about are we doing the right things?
– What should customers be looking for and expect from a good cloud service provider?
– What factors influence the success of implementing it service management?
– Are you thinking about implementing ITIL standards based tools?
– Why is IT service management important to cloud providers?
– What metrics will be provided and are they relevant?
– Do you have a growing list of overdue incidents?
– What software do I have and why do we have it?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– What is the future of it Service Management?
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
– What is meant by it Service Management?
– does not soa solve these problems?
– What is Service Management?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Canvass IT service management tasks and gather practices for scaling IT service management.
– So you have designed a great process, have invested in a slick itsm tool and paid your consultants for the best advice you could purchase. What makes you think anyone is actually going to follow the new processes after you close up the project and take down the posters?
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– Are we getting a handle on project initiation-related risks, which is all about are we doing the right things?
– In your organization, which group oversees or coordinates your it service management capabilities?
– Does the cloud service provider require third-party providers in order to deliver services?
– What element of the it Service Management lifecycle are you currently focused on?
– How much time does it take to consolidate information into meaningful reports?
– Are you managing incidents primarily through emails and phone calls?
– What services are published in your organizations service catalog?
– How does this service support business activities?
– Does anyone know the value of enterprise it?
– What is the scope of certification?
– Is the Quality of Service met?
– Where does the data reside?
– What is ITIL?
– what is next?
Information infrastructure Critical Criteria:
See the value of Information infrastructure tasks and check on ways to get started with Information infrastructure.
– Does the information infrastructure convert raw data into more meaningful, relevant information to create knowledgeable and wise decisions that assists personnel in carrying out their enterprise Risk Management and other responsibilities?
– For your IT Infrastructure project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Does IT Infrastructure systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Audit Infrastructure quality and spearhead techniques for implementing Infrastructure.
– Does the software let users work with the existing data infrastructure already in place, freeing your IT team from creating more cubes, universes, and standalone marts?
– Which cloud deployment model enables to provisioning the cloud infrastructure for exclusive use by organizations that have shared concerns?
– Are users of data instructed to avoid email messaging for transfer and use encrypted johns hopkins file sharing services instead?
– Which cloud Service Management process maintains information in the Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Are machine hard drives or media storing data destroyed or otherwise rendered unreadable prior to disposal?
– Are you buying into a cloud architecture/infrastructure/ service which is not compliant?
– What is a benefit of automated site failover capability in a data center environment?
– What types of infrastructure are necessary to support post-disaster re-development?
– Which technique can be used to cluster a virtual machine with a physical machine?
– What is the basis for determining the size of the virtual machine swap file?
– Which statement is true about application encapsulation?
– How is the term recovery point objective (rpo) defined?
– Which emc product provides a unified storage platform?
– What is a secure identity management infrastructure?
– Which virtualization solution will you recommend?
– What browsers are available to the students?
– What is an example of cloud vendor lock-in?
– How should you configure the vlans?
Infrastructure as Code Critical Criteria:
Investigate Infrastructure as Code issues and define what our big hairy audacious Infrastructure as Code goal is.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about IT Infrastructure. How do we gain traction?
– Do we monitor the IT Infrastructure decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your IT Infrastructure activities?
Infrastructure as a service Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Infrastructure as a service tactics and explore and align the progress in Infrastructure as a service.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of IT Infrastructure that make it risky?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its IT Infrastructure processes?
– What are the short and long-term IT Infrastructure goals?
McGraw-Hill Critical Criteria:
Have a session on McGraw-Hill goals and triple focus on important concepts of McGraw-Hill relationship management.
– How do we measure improved IT Infrastructure service perception, and satisfaction?
– What are all of our IT Infrastructure domains and what do they do?
– Can we do IT Infrastructure without complex (expensive) analysis?
Networking hardware Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Networking hardware leadership and oversee implementation of Networking hardware.
– Do the IT Infrastructure decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– How important is IT Infrastructure to the user organizations mission?
– Who will provide the final approval of IT Infrastructure deliverables?
Software Critical Criteria:
Analyze Software quality and gather Software models .
– With this new, full-stack approach to software delivery comes new opportunity for delay. DevOps was developed as a reaction to the long lead times required for infrastructure provisioning and integration with bureaucracy-laden ITIL processes. But what are these new sources of delay in the software development lifecycle?
– Are software Quality Assurance tests a part of the general hardware acceptance test on the customers machine before it leaves the factory?
– Are Hardware and softwarea legacy components sufficient to support the task of integrating large and complex sets of information?
– Can you afford to lock your business into a rigid long-term project where the cost of change grows exponentially?
– Does it avoid poorly executed software handoffs between development, testing, and operations?
– Where does the organization develop, test and deploy its software products and services?
– Does your software facilitate the setting of thresholds and provide alerts to users?
– Was your software written by your organization or acquired from a third party?
– Is there an organized user group specifically for the CRM software?
– Is open source software development essentially an agile method?
– What Can We Learn From a Theory of Complexity?
– Does the software utilize a responsive design?
– What are you planning to complete today?
– Is your bi software easy to understand?
– Does your team use Agile Methodology?
– What software do we have and why do we have it?
Software-defined infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Check Software-defined infrastructure outcomes and find out.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this IT Infrastructure process?
– Which customers cant participate in our IT Infrastructure domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting IT Infrastructure with what users do day-to-day?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IT Infrastructure Utility IU Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IT Infrastructure External links:
ITIL® (IT Infrastructure Library®) and ITSM Directory
IBM IT Infrastructure – ibm.com
http://Ad · www.ibm.com/IT/Infrastructure
5 Best Open Source Monitoring Software for IT Infrastructure
Cloud computing External links:
CRM Software & Cloud Computing Solutions – Salesforce UK
AWS Cloud Computing Certification Program – aws.amazon.com
ClearDATA – Secure, HIPAA Compliant Cloud Computing
Computer hardware External links:
CompSource.com: Computer Hardware, Software, …
computer hardware A+ Flashcards | Quizlet
Computer Hardware, Software, Technology Solutions | Insight
Computer network External links:
Computer Network Support Specialists
Computer Network Technology | Renton Technical College
Converged infrastructure External links:
FlexPod | Converged Infrastructure from Cisco & NetApp
Dynamic infrastructure External links:
Cloud monitoring for dynamic infrastructure by New Relic
TETRA Dynamic Infrastructure – Home | Facebook
Hyper-converged infrastructure External links:
Hyper-Converged Infrastructure Solutions | vSAN | VMware
Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI) | Hyper Converge | VMware
IT management External links:
mindSHIFT’s Total IT Management Web Portal
ControlNow: IT management on one simple web-based …
Continuum: IT Management, BDR and RMM Software Built …
IT service External links:
District IT Service Desk – CCCD
IT Service Desk – web.uri.edu
IT Service Desk Live Chat – Delta Air Lines
IT service management External links:
What Is ITSM (IT Service Management)? | SysAid
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
ServiceAide: ITSM Tools – IT Service Management …
Information infrastructure External links:
What is Information Infrastructure | IGI Global
Internal Information Infrastructure – Department Directory
Information infrastructure – SourceWatch
Infrastructure External links:
Infrastructure – Federal Highway Administration
Institute For Sustainable Infrastructure
Securitas Critical Infrastructure Services, Inc.
Infrastructure as Code External links:
Infrastructure as code – the foundation for DevOps | Puppet
Infrastructure as code is essential to your DevOps practices
What is Infrastructure as Code? | DevOps – Visual Studio
Infrastructure as a service External links:
What’s New in Azure Infrastructure as a service
Ask the Experts on Azure Infrastructure as a Service
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
McGraw-Hill External links:
SmartBook | McGraw-Hill Education
McGraw-Hill Federal Credit Union – Home
© McGraw-Hill Education. All rights reserved.
Networking hardware External links:
Summit Information Resources – Networking Hardware …
Meraki Networking Hardware -Take Your Network By The …
Open Networking Hardware Principles – Pluribus Networks
Software External links:
Insite Software – SAP Concur
Insight Salon & Spa Software | Salon Scheduling & Marketing
Computer Hardware, Software, Technology Solutions | Insight
Software-defined infrastructure External links:
Re-Store – Software-Defined Infrastructure